Thursday, April 29, 2010

Strop

For my birthday this year Zoe gave me the small forest axe from Gränsfors Bruks. Gränsfors Bruks is located in Bergsjö, Sweden and is committed to producing the finest axes and cutting tools with as little impact on the environment as possible. Every axe head is forged from a quality piece of steel by a skilled blacksmith in the old style. There are no mass production lines here just the craftsmen, a 1200 degree C oven and a forge. Each axe head is branded with the Gränsfors Bruks label and crown as well as the blacksmiths own initials. The small forest axe is a great axe that is perfectly balanced and very sharp. From the manufacturer it is sharp enough to shave with but it could use a bit of extra work to make it scary sharp. On a students budget, I can't afford a set of Japanese water stones, so I'll have to make due with a leather strop. I've decided to make my own from a piece of pine I had laying around the shop and and old leather belt. With the addition of some polishing compound I should be able to achieve a very sharp blade not only on the axe but all of my other hunting and fishing knives. In the photo the white polishing compound is has a medium abrasive and the rouge is finer.


No comments: