Sunday, May 9, 2010

Hood / Trunk canoe anchors

While many newer vehicles have an anchor point underneath that is used to pull the vehicle out of a snow bank when it gets stuck, but often times this is not a convenient place to tie a rope to when securing a canoe to the top of your vehicle. This morning I made 4 canoe anchors, they are made of a 4" length of 3/4" PVC tubing, a metal ring and a loop of nylon webbing. I don't remember where I got the idea, I think that I saw it in a magazine or on the net or something like that. The PVC tubing goes just inside the hood/trunk of a vehicle. On our Sunfire there is a recess that the tubing fits nicely into. The hood/trunk is then closed with the ring end of the nylon webbing on the outside. This should provide a convinient place to secure a canoe to.

I tried them out this afternoon when i picked up my canoes and found that if they were placed near the latch on the trunk or the hood they worked well but anywhere else there was too much give in the metal. I was concerned that the force would deform the hood/trunk. On vehicles like my old jeep Cherokee that have a latch at both corners of the hood and are made of sturdier material, these would work good.


The anchor worked well when it was looped inside the trunk and around the latch.

The grey PVC tubing can be seen under the hood.

4 comments:

Bryan Sarauer said...

I think I need to do something similar for the CRV. I'll probably get some webbing and put them on the fender bolts though for a more secure attachment point. I'll have to remember to have a closer look at that tonight.
Bryan

Wildpaddler said...

I think that it took me all of 15 minutes to make 4 of them.

Mark

gnarlydog said...

Mark, nice variation to a similar style of anchor that I use on cars that have no convenient attachment point.
Mine is slightly simpler: http://gnarlydognews.blogspot.com/2009/12/diy-tie-down-anchors-for-modern-cars.html

Wildpaddler said...

I think that you have a good design, I may give those a try also.